Live in the ancient and exquisite city of Cádiz on our six-week program under the auspices of Centro MundoLengua in collaboration with the University of Cádiz-Andalucía (UCA). A Monmouth University faculty member from the Language Dept. travels and stays with the program for the entire six weeks offering private and group Spanish tutoring and cultural development for all participants. This trip abroad will allow you to experience Spanish immersion in a beautiful environment firsthand. You will learn about language and culture in class, and see them come to life when participating in the excursions and activities we offer. In January 2019, The New York Times
listed Cádiz as one of the best places to visit this year; click this link
to read an article from El País
(in English) about the rich history, great food scene and breathtaking landscapes of Cádiz and southern Spain.
Monmouth's Spain Program includes the following:
Monmouth Global's Pre-Departure Process includes the following:
- Airport pick-up in Málaga and transfer to Cádiz
- On-site Orientation and city tour
- Welcome/Farewell dinners in Cádiz
- Furnished bedroom accommodations in your homestay
- Linens that include bed sheets and towels
- Three meals a day and laundry service once per week
- Mapfre Insurance through MundoLengua and AIG Travel Insurance (complete coverage for anywhere you might travel during the program dates)
- Private Spanish tutoring and cultural and social development sessions provided by Monmouth University Professor
- Mid-term four-day excursion to Seville/Granada
- Weekly one-day excursions to such places as Vejer de la Frontera, prehistoric caves, pueblos blancos and Puerto de Santa María
- Professional Flamenco show
- Introductory dance lessons in Flamenco and Salsa
- Introductory surf lesson and Andalusian cooking workshop
- 24/7 Emergency support and On-site Staff support
- 24/7 Mental Health and Wellness support - enrollment in Morneau Shepell's My Student Support Program or My SSP where students can access counselors anytime during their Study Abroad experience
Monmouth Global's Alumni Opportunities include the following:
- Study Abroad 101 Information Sessions
- Study Abroad Fair
- Application Support and Academic Advising
- Open Office Hours for program inquiries and planning
- Global Education Mentor/Mentee Program for accepted students
- Two Pre-Departure Orientation meetings for students (Intercultural Competency Workshops)
- Pre-Departure Parent Orientation
- Bon Voyage Lunch
- Welcome Back Lunch at Monmouth upon return
- Opportunity to become a ‘Global Education Mentor’
- Three, free "Unpacking Your Study Abroad" workshops to translate your experiences into career credentials
If you want to greatly improve your Spanish in 6 weeks, complete your Global Understanding/Cultural Diversity requirements, and live in an area less invaded by tourism then the Summer in Cádiz program is for you. Students taking the new health course (HE398: Spain Public Health Immersion) taught in English would also take 1 Spanish language course and enjoy all other aspects of the regular program as well.
Formal course work is enriched outside the classroom with cultural and hands-on activities, such as flamenco, Andalusian cookery, surf lessons, social events with Spanish university students, and numerous one-day and multi-day excursions. Students that place into the 300 level of Spanish or above can take a service-learning course that's excellent for your resume and job experience.
Department Chairs, Deans and General Education Oversight Committee members review all course syllabi to ensure these courses can complete your General Education and Major requirements. Hence, it is crucial you pick approved courses.
VIEW AVAILABLE COURSES:
COMPLETE YOUR COURSE WORKSHEET:
The Course Worksheet
- Review all MU APPROVED courses via WebAdvisor. This comprehensive list shows how courses equate back as Monmouth credit and the course types they carry. Simply choose SPA-University of Cádiz, Spain in the "Location" search for a full listing.
- Review SUMMER 2019 confirmed courses offered here: Cádiz, Spain Courses
- NEW course taught in English; HE398: Spain Public Health Immersion - students will explore gender roles, sexuality, nutrition, morbidity and mortality, healthcare and environmental policies, and other public health as they participate in site visits and engage with community members in and around Cádiz, Spain.
- View syllabus: Spain Public Health Summer 2019 w Spain Faculty Member (002).pdf
is meant to aid you in choosing the most suitable Monmouth approved courses to take during your semester abroad. Bring a copy of your worksheet to your Academic Advising meetings.
Summer Semester students can take 12-15 credits to be full-time. Most students choose the maximum of 15 credits, which is 5 classes.
Possible Summer Spain Schedule (6 Credits) *see course list above for all options
||Curso Intensivo ELE - Nivel A1.1
||Curso Intensivo ELE - Nivel A1.2
*Students place into the appropriate level of Spanish and earn 6 credits of Spanish. 300 Level or higher Spanish students complete a course called Cádiz y Su Sociedad that contains service learning.
Through study abroad, the Global Education Office strives to prepare students for successful lives in a global environment. We suggest early preparation for any global experience, and we ask that students plan ahead by becoming familiar with their academic audits and major requirements. This will enable students the most flexibility when exploring opportunities in other countries. Please see these dates below and prepare your future semester abroad today!
Summer 2019 Dates
||Fri., June 28
|Arrival Málaga-transfer to Cádiz
||Sat., June 29
|Welcome Dinner (MundoLengua)
||Sun., June 30
|Orientation/classes Begin at UCA
||Mon., July 1
|City Orientation (MundoLengua)
||Mon., July 1
|Mid-term Trip Seville/Granada
||Thurs.-Sun., July 18-21
||Thurs., August 8
|Farewell Dinner (MundoLengua)
||Thurs., August 8
|Departure Cádiz/Arrival JFK:
||Sat., August 10
While in Cádiz, students live with carefully selected Spanish families whose homes are within walking distance of the classes and the stunning beaches. MundoLengua staff frequently visit each home to do a full inspection and to speak with the members of the family to ensure that all of our students continue to have comfortable quarters and warm and enthusiastic hosts.
Family homestays provide students with invaluable insight into the Spanish culture and daily life—the true “immersion experience.” Without a doubt, living with a Spanish family is the best way for students to advance their communication skills and one of the most beloved parts of this program.
- Furnished bedroom
- 3 meals per day
- Laundry service once per week
- Bed sheets and towels
Monmouth students participating in this incredible program have the opportunity to participate in weekly excursions and cultural activities that serve to enrich their experience. While abroad, students will not only be living as a Spaniard, but will have the chance to travel the country, to see first-hand its historical significance and vibrant beauty.
What Monmouth and MundoLengua Offer You:
- Professional Flamenco demonstration
- Andalusian cooking lesson
- Social events with Spanish University students
- Surf lessons
- 4-day excursion to the beautiful cities of Seville and Granada
- Trip to the castle and winery of El Puerto de Santa Maria
- Trips to the pre-historic caves in the province of Málaga and a traditional “pueblo blanco”
- Free weekends for you to explore the country and those that surround it on your own!
Costs & Financial Aid
Please refer to the "Budget Sheet" for the current housing fee
Monmouth’s program includes the following in the tuition/housing costs:
- Summer: 6-credits
- Application fee, cleaning fee and security deposit
- Airport pick-up in Cádiz
- Homestay accommodations
- Textbooks for courses
- Welcome Dinner and Orientation
- In-country excursions hosted by MundoLengua/MU
- AIG and Mapfre Insurance (complete coverage for anywhere you might travel during the program dates)
- All pre-departure and returnee services/events from Monmouth
- Passport (about $135)
- Study Abroad Fee
- MU Deposit (refunded as a credit to your tuition bill)
- Airfare to and from country
- 'Declaration of Presence' Fee
- Refundable Housing Deposit
- Accommodation Damage Charges: If your room is damaged, each roommate will be charged and the amount will be subtracted from the housing deposit
- Personal spending and travel